WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS ANYWAY?
Every plant has a special scent and taste. When you distill the flower, leaves or roots you get an oil which is an essence with special properties, some of which are therapeutic. This is why essential oils are also called aromatherapy, aroma = scent. You can understand the therapeutic effect when you think about how you feel when you enter a house with a fresh or baking scent. (Real estate agents know it and use it:)
Aroma oils are very skin permeable and when you inhale them they go straight to your nervous system and so you feel the effect almost instantly.
Since essential oils are quite powerful, most of them should be diluted in a diffuser or in a formula for external use.
A FEW WAYS TO USE AROMATHERAPY OILS:
Essential oils as a perfume:
You can use aromatherapy oils for perfumery by diluting them in base oils or alcohol. Lavender, patchouli, citrus, neroli and jasmine oils are very popular as perfume.
Lavender oil is great for helping you sleep and peppermint oil will help your muscles relax when you use it diluted in base oil for a massage.
Try French lavender oil for cuts and bruises. Add a few drops of ylang ylang or neroli oil to your moisturizer. These two are especially suitable for older skin.
Looking for a great massage oil? Choose from among many essential oils. Just dilute them in almond or grapeseed oil. Make your own sport massage blend or one for erotic or relaxation massage.
Just put you favourite essential oil or blend in the diffuser. Lavender, eucalyptus and tea tree are a famous winter blend. Cinnamon, anise, citrus and ginger are a favourite Christmas blend. Feel free to make your own favourite blend. It’s fun!
Basic guide to essential oils uses
- Bergamot essential oil – Joyous oil, refreshing, appetite stabilizer, anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, relieves stress, analgesic, eases psoriasis and skin infections. In use for winter ailments. Do not expose your skin to the sun for 12 hours after application.
- Roman chamomile essential oil – Relaxes the nervous system, sleep inducer, muscle pain, tummy ache and migraines. Great as diffuser for babies or skin care for mom and baby – diaper rash, cracked nipples and more.
- Cinnamon essential oil – Rich and sweet scent. Great for winter ailments such as flu, cough, cold and viral infections thanks to its warming influence. Can be itchy for the skin.
- Geranium essential oil – Hormonal oil, balances the hormones and this affects the body and mind. Great for older, tired skin, acne and dryness. In use also for hemorrhoids and as a mosquito repellent.
- Grapefruit essential oil – Lovely, invigorating and refreshing scent. Antiseptic, relaxing, cheer up oil. Clears the skin and absorbs fluids which is why it is used for cellulite. Do not expose your skin to the sun for 12 hours after application.
- Helichrysum essential oil – This oil is very powerful. Antidepressant, antifungal, antibacterial, used for respiratory system conditions such as asthma, relieves PMS. Great for skin inflammations such as acne and psoriasis. Revives cells so in use for cuts after operations.
- Jasmine essential oil – Very pleasant scent. Relaxing, warming and aphrodisiac. Used for anxiety and depression.
- Lavender essential oil – Great for almost any skin condition. Disinfectant, aids acne, Psoriasis, dermatitis, wounds, burns, inflammation and eczema. Relaxing for the mind and great for insomnia and stress.
- Lemon eucalyptus essential oil – Antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral. Supports the breathing. Relaxing and sleep inducing. Great for winter conditions.
- Lemongrass essential oil – Nice lemon scent, prevents infection. Good for the respiratory system and muscle pain thanks to it’s cooling effect.
- Neroli Essential Oil – Amazing scent, my favourite:) Aphrodisiac and exciting while at the same time sleep inducing and relaxing. Good influence on skin and mind.
- Niaouli essential oil – Disinfectant, energizing body and mind. Heals cuts, wounds, burns, skin infections and fungal infections. Good for sore throat and respiratory problems.
- Orange essential oil – Mood stabilizer, analgesic and refreshes dry and dull skin.
- Palmarosa essential oil – Great for the skin, moisturizing, treats acne, dermatitis, scars, burns and itches Great for massage, relaxing and sublime scent.
- Patchouli essential oil – Aphrodisiac, sublime and joyous scent. For the skin – astringent, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidandraff and treats eczema.
- Peppermint essential oil – Refreshing, antiseptic, cooling and invigorating. Especially good for cold, respiratory issues and headaches. Spider repellent and great in a massage oil for strained and constricted muscles.
- Pine essential oil – Antiseptic, benefits the respiratory system (cough, sinuses, sore throat, asthma) and also used as a pain killer. Can stimulate and awaken when tired, physically or emotionally.
- Rosemary essential oil – Famous as a head lice repellent but is good also for oily scalp, dandruff and hair loss.
- Rosewood essential oil – Pleasant, relaxing, joyous aphrodisiac scent. Great for sport massage, mature dry skin, acne and dermatitis.
- Sandalwood essential oil – Good for skin care and even as an antiseptic in after shave formulas. Efficient for cuts and itches. Recommended for dry mature skin and treats dermatitis. Cheering, relaxing and aphrodisiac.
- Tea tree essential oil – Disinfecting, regulates perspiration in deodorants, anti itch and good for skin care. Antifungal, anti inflammatory, burns and winter illnesses.
- Thyme essential oil – Supports the immune and respiratory system. Treats bronchitis, sinusitis and respiratory infections. In use also for mosquito bites, acne, joint problems and sleep issues.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil – Sweet and wonderful scent, wide use in perfumery. Ylang ylang is known as an aphrodisiac, relaxing and reviving body and soul. Great for skin care and anti-inflammatory.
Please comment here and let me know if you have questions about aromatherapy, essential oils and how to use them. We welcome suggestions too.
See our price list for an easy quick look at all our essential oils.